Music Department Concert Schedule for 2013-2104:
Scroll down to the bottom of this page to read the impressive list of Music Department Community Partnerships and Master Classes.
Instrumental Music Department Mission
Advanced study of the musical craft is essential to the development of a competent artist. We are dedicated to providing our students with a vibrant performance experience, supporting their instrumental technique and musical literacy.
Message from Andrew Bauer
Director, Instrumental Music
Welcome to the Instrumental Music Department at Charter Arts, where we offer the instrumental music student a unique and exciting opportunity in the exploration of the musical arts.
First and foremost, our faculty are not only superb educators, but performing artists of the highest caliber.
These dedicated professionals have performed on some of the most prestigious stages in the world and with some of the most important figures, ensembles, bands and orchestras, nationally and internationally. Because of this, and the relationships our teachers have with the best musicians in the world, we are able to attract instrumental virtuosi to visit and give our students the benefit of their experience and artistry through our Visiting Masters Series.
These Master Classes have included artists such as: The Turtle Island String Quartet, Kenny Baron, Bucky Pizzarelli, Howard Alden, The Shenandoah Brass Quintet, Jack Wilkins and John Stowell, along with many others.
Besides the traditional classes in Music Theory, History, Techniques and Ensembles, our students can elect to take classes in Jazz Studies, Contemporary Popular Music, Improvisation and other related subjects.
Our students have many performing opportunities, ranging from small ensembles to Orchestra, Concert Band and Jazz Band, with a full concert schedule in-house and elsewhere in the community. This broad curriculum prepares our students for careers as professional musicians as well as for success as music majors in college or university.
It is my hope that you will find this site useful and informative in answering any questions you may have about our program. If you are ready to make a serious commitment to the study of music in a safe and stimulating environment, then Charter Arts may be the place for you. Please feel free to contact me or come to meet us at an Open House day.
Jazz and Contemporary Music
As part of the Instrumental Music Department, the Jazz and Contemporary Music Studies Program at Charter Arts is a new and exciting opportunity for students to enhance the traditional study of music with the heritage of America’s art form, Jazz, and its evolution into contemporary modern music. The curriculum in Jazz and Contemporary Music Studies will allow students to develop their musical skills as well shape their evolution as artists and people.
Students who choose to concentrate in Jazz Studies will develop the wide range of skills and processes needed to launch a career in professional music and to prepare for success in higher education as music majors.
Our faculty in Jazz Studies are all working professional musicians as well as educators who are nationally and internationally acclaimed for their virtuosity. These artists bring not only their musical expertise to our students, but also practical experience from real world situations. This gives our students a real and tangible edge for their future.
I believe that the experience of working side by side with our teachers in professional situations is a unique methodology where our students can apply the concepts learned in the classroom. I know of no other high school program that can match this approach to learning.
Instrumental Music Department- Community Partnerships
2008-2014: List of Community partnerships including concert engagements and collaborative projects
- Hotel Bethlehem
- Moravian Village retirement community
- City of Bethlehem
- Historic Bethlehem Partnership
- Northampton Community College
- Pennsylvania Music Educators Association – District 10, Region V, and All-State events
- ArtsQuest – Steel Stacks, Musikfest, Christkindlmarkt
- Mayfair – Allentown, PA
- City of Allentown
- The Allentown Symphony
- Downtown Bethlehem Association – Christmas City Village
- Bethlehem Area School District – Broughal Middle School
- Air Products Corporation
- Lehigh County Children & Youth
- Moravian College
- Lehigh University
- Lafayette College
- Temple University – Tri-State Wind Ensemble Festival
- Susquehanna University – Honors Band Festival
- Marywood University – Honors Band Festival
- Kutztown University – Brass and Woodwind Day
- Touchstone Theater
- The Allentown Band
- Penn State University
- Anne’s Choice retirement community
- Godfrey Daniels Listening Room
- Martin Guitar
- SteelStacks HS Jazz Band Showcase – finalists in 2012, 2013
- Consistent participation and soloist awards in area HS Jazz Festivals at: Southern Lehigh HS, Pocono Mountain East HS, and Freedom HS
The Charter Arts music program has attracted master classes from the following Visiting Artists:
- Albert “Tootie” Heath, legendary jazz drummer
- Ethan Iverson, jazz pianist
- Ben Street, jazz bassist
- Mindy Rosenfield, Renaissance flute/harp
- Ronn McFarlane, Grammy nominated Renaissance lutanist
- Dr. Neil Wetzel, associate professor of music/director of jazz studies – Moravian College
- Glenn Caluda, professor emeritus of guitar/lute – Shenandoah Conservatory
- Dr. Jeremy Justeson, professor of saxophone – Kutztown University
- Dr. Daniel Newenschwander, professor of trombone – Kutztown University
- Dr. Kevin Kjos, professor of trumpet and jazz studies – Kutztown University
- Mark O’Connor, violinist
- John “Bucky” Pizzarelli, jazz guitarist
- Howard Alden, jazz guitarist
- Jack Wilkins, jazz guitarist
- Craig Thatcher, blues guitarist
- Turtle Island String Quartet, Grammy Award-winning String Quartet
- Billy Bauer, singer/song-writer
- Jeffrey Wohlbach, professional trumpeter/teacher
- Greg Seifert, professional trumpeter/teacher
- Hill to Hill Brass Quintet
- Shenandoah Conservatory Faculty Brass Quintet
- Leonard “Doc” Gibbs, legendary drummer/world percussionist
- John Stowell, jazz guitarist
- Tumbling Bones, bluegrass/early American trio
- Petrit Ceku, International classical guitarist
- Amadi Azikiwe, viola professor – James Madison University
- Sam Hollander, music producer from NYC/LA
- Cara Owens, principal bassoon of Ft. Worth Symphony
- XVSK – Exter vs. Kimock
- Martha Marchena, pianist