The mission of the Charter Arts Theatre Department is to expose young artists to the multitude of works, theories and practices essential to an understanding and appreciation for Theatre Arts, as well as to foster the inherent talents of our students and to encourage them to confidently share their creativity with the world at large.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Charter Arts Theatre Department offers a pre-professional training program for high school-aged performers. Our goal is to provide students with the skills they will need to move on to competitive college programs as well as professional theatre experiences. Classes are designed to encourage students to create imaginative and compelling characters, to regard their voices and bodies as creative instruments, to expose them to theatrical literature and to instill in them a sense of respect and professionalism for the art form that will stay with them throughout their lives.
- Learn about the dramatic arts through our comprehensive, performance-based curriculum.
- Develop your ideas and explore your creative voice through classes in acting, scriptwriting, directing, dramatic literature, voice and movement.
- Expose yourself to theatre history while examining a variety of theatrical styles and cultures from around the planet.
- Engage in on-camera and voice-over technique
- Create original work, which will be featured in an original, touring Childrens’ Show and our annual New Play Festival.
- Attend regular workshops with guest artists in subjects such as stage combat, devised theatre and puppetry.
- Collaborate with students in other artistic disciplines.
- Build a foundation that will not only enhance your dramatic imagination, but also practical skills in interpersonal communication, time-management, organization, problem-solving, critical thinking and public-speaking!
- Review the full department curriculum in the COURSE CATALOG.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- Instruction from accomplished, award-winning faculty.
- Students learn to regard their voices and bodies as creative instruments.
- 4 fully produced plays per academic year, utilizing state-of-the-art equipment and professional support in our mainstage and black box theaters.
- Build a portfolio of recorded content, including monologues, scenes, commercials and voice overs.
- Classical and contemporary acting styles derived from traditional and experimental techniques.
- Intensive scene study and monologue work in a variety of styles.
Extended performance, design, support and management opportunities on our stages, as well as in the community.
- A safe, supportive, ensemble-oriented environment to explore and develop your unique voice.
Please feel free to contact the Artistic Director of Theatre, Christopher Cantelmi at firstname.lastname@example.org.